The first 10 rounds

My last post left off after we got the first hair test back. We had begun multivitamins, probiotics and some other things. We were still battling constipation and yeast and our next step was a natural anti-fungal (GSE). But to roll back a few weeks in March 2006 we were working on just getting my son to accept any supplements at all. He was very orally averse to foods and supplements and had taken to freaking out at the sight of a medicine syringe. The reason for this is unknown because he hardly ever had to be given any medicines as a baby or toddler. But he certainly hated anything in his mouth and gagged on so many things. In fact he would vomit them up.

The idea of putting him on a long list of supplements was intimidating to say the least. I had no idea how I was going to get him to take all this stuff let along take chelators in the middle of the night.

I decided one day to start playing a game with him using the medicine syringes. I let him fill them with water and squirt them. This slowly moved to my squirting water into my mouth to drink and laughing. Later he was comfortable squirting the water in my mouth. After a few days he would squirt the water into his own mouth. Then eventually he let me squirt water into his mouth in very tiny amounts. He called this game “Ub-dub”. He always made up words for things he didn’t have words for.  Eventually ub-dub progressed with putting juice in the syringe and taking turns getting our squirts.

My son would only accept one juice or water to drink. He would not drink milk or anything else by this age. The child who used to swill milk by the bottle off an on all day gave up milk cold turkey when we took away the baby bottle. He never accepted milk in a cup. He told us it only came in “bottles” and he could not drink it in cups. In hindsight this was better because he seemed to be addicted to the milk anyway.  We were very limited in what we could put supplements or chelators in because water and Berry Juicy Juice were all he would accept in a cup.

We continued to battle constipation off an on and it did affect his behavior. He had tantrums, didn’t listen well, irritability and was very hyperactive. We had to use a laxative at one point when he had not gone to the bathroom in 2 days.

We did begin zinc following his hair test and my child who mouthed and licked everything including door knobs finally stopped doing that.  My son had an affinity for licking anything metal and putting everything in his mouth. Zinc was a blessing for us.

During April and May 2006 I was working on adding one supplement at a time from the long list of supplements that used to be recommended for frequent low dose chelation.

My son had a rash on his bottom and constipation that fluctuated off and on sometimes responding to increases in probiotics.  He gravitated towards starchy foods only and I later learned that the constipation and starchy foods were due to yeast.

By May 14, 2006 we were on the all the supplements except molybdenum and we had finally begun the Grapefruit seed extract he so badly needed. Those first of die off were crazy. My son was smashing himself under the bed sheets for sensory input. He was banging on everything and didn’t listen at all to anything you said.  His eye contact was off but his stools were improving. He was averse to touch and he wasn’t asking us to squeeze him. He was brushing away touches. But it was improving the constipation.

We were set to try DMSA/ALA every 3 hours for 3 days. I also began milk thistle.

May 18, 2006 we did our first round. We began with 10mg of DMSA/ALA.  By his second dose he was fussy and began hitting me and yelling over everything. By afternoon he was a different child. He was happy, playful and cooperative. Complete turn around from what he was that morning.

We did have a hard time getting him to take his night doses, so that second day on round I made him a social story book about the chelation and the night doses. It showed mommy coming into this room at night to give him a squirt of juice in his “ub dub”. And it showed mom giving the juice in the day time.  I had hoped this would help him understand what was going on at night.

He cried and screamed and tried to refuse the dose but we did get him to take them. The following day was great. He was so playful, even silly and humorous in his play. He finally had a normal but foul-smelling stool.

He was communicating better and seemed to understand us better.

My journal says:  “He’s been like a regular 3-year-old!

“I have seen no adverse reactions, just huge improvements. It’s like a fog has been lifted and he can come out now!”.

We did round two the next week. My son did lose some of the initial positives by the time he was due for round two. He was great for a few days post round but then gradually slid back with fussiness, tantrums and hyperactivity. But we were ready for round two to bring him back again.

Round two brought constipation and yeast but we increased the antifungal. This round was 4 days long instead of 3. He was so much better on the chelators than off.  On round two I noted that he was playing by himself more and he was pretending. He was communicating better with us instead of screaming when he wanted things or pointing. He was trying to dress himself and he was more cooperative. I did bribe him with a gummy fish when he took his doses even at night and this helped him comply. But the gains we were getting were worth it.

On June 8th, I had written that he was dressing himself in the morning and peeing on the potty during the day without anyone telling him to do so. We had spent over a year trying to toilet train him and he was partially trained until he regressed at age 2 1/2. To this day I have not figured out what triggered that regression. I am still combing his infant journal and baby book to see if he had a viral infection or some other trigger. But finally he was using the toilet in just 2 rounds.  Prior to this my son screamed like he was dying if you put him on the potty.

Round three was not so pleasant in that he was irritable and uncooperative but his imagination was finally developing.  The later half of June was a bit rough with fussiness and defiant behavior off an on which I eventually learned was due to yeast and that we needed to use GSE daily not just for rounds. But he did keep his gains for toileting and he learned to button his shirts by himself on June 23rd when he yelled ” I did it!” from the backseat of the car.

Round four my son started off cranky. He was hitting me when he got upset and he felt warm to me. His body temperature was 99 degrees F but he had no signs of illness. I did notice that he had begun to get bruises on his shins from nothing so I suspected he was not getting enough vitamin C. I increased his vitamin C from 400mg to 1800mg temporarily and the bruising was gone within a day.

Round five we increased his dose from 10mg to 12.5mg of DMSA/ALA but he was very fussy and defiant.  He was refusing his supplements also and I began giving GSE with his chelator doses to combat the yeast. He had two large watery stools and his mood improved.  I began offering water after he each chelator dose because I suspected the ALA was making his mouth sore and he finally began taking sips of his vitamins again.

After round five his attention span seemed better. When yeast flared up he would trash the house and revert back to behaving like a two-year old. He would get into the cupboards and make messes everywhere.  But he was starting to sing more. He was singing nursery songs like “twinkle twinkle little star” and he was happier than he’d been in a long time.

During this time we were preparing for his preschool evaluation for early intervention services. The paperwork I filled out months before we actually got in to see the evaluation team didn’t really reflect the child I brought to them after only a few rounds of chelation.

Round six he was hyper and impulsive but happy. He talked almost non-stop and he moved non-stop.

Round seven he stopped howling and crying if the wind blew on his face but instead he liked it.  He dipped his fries in ketchup for the first time ever. However, he was kicking, hitting and using vulgar language when he got upset.  He resorted to calling us
“idiots” if he was mad.  We missed two weeks due to a cold and then a fever. During these two weeks my son was hitting, scratching, and trantruming a lot. It was so much so that it was creating martial conflict about whether or not I was coddling my son too much and not disciplining him enough. I suspected it was yeast and I increase his grapefruit seed extract. The behaviors began to go away. It was at this point my own health began to get worse. I had my amalgams remove some three months before this and I was not chelating myself yet.

By round eight I began chelating myself. My daughter was on round three. I took my son to a heavy equipment show after round eight and he used to be afraid of fork lifts, but he climbed right one that day! He also sat on the potty and tried to make a bowel movement.

After round nine my son had a BM on the toilet. He was out of diapers during the day. He was asking questions about everything. He took the play dough that used to make him gag when he touched it and made dough “vegetables” in the living room on August 25, 2006.

He was having trouble falling asleep at night and I added a tiny bit of melatonin. He was back to taking his clothes off at home and refusing to wear them. But this improved when I increased the GSE. I began using Echinacea with zinc and vitamin C post round to ward off the runny noses he was getting at the end of the rounds.

Just prior to round ten I noted he was doing so well that he problem solved one day. When I could not take him to his coveted go-kart track because we didn’t have the money he was upset at first. But then he suggested we go to the playground because that was free. Normally he would have just flipped out for an hour about the go-karts.

Round ten brought BM’s on the potty and wearing clothing again.  His sensory to clothing fluctuated off an on and often improved on rounds.

We did not do any autism interventions or therapies with my son prior to chelation. He never had ABA therapy. His response to his first ten rounds of chelation confirmed that metals were a problem for him and were affecting his health, development and mood.

This was just the beginning for us.


One thought on “The first 10 rounds

  1. Pingback: The next rounds 11 through 25 | The Edge of Autism

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s