Dangerous Levels of Mercury in Fish and CFL bulbs

For us avoiding mercury exposures that we can control is important. I felt an important part of recovering was to avoid any mercury sources that we could. One of the things we avoid is fish, especially high mercury fish. While we do use cod liver oil, we purchase brands that are tested by independent labs to be free of mercury and other chemicals.

Our days of eating tuna fish sandwiches, fish sticks or tuna noodle casserole are long gone. So far gone that my son doesn’t ever recall these foods in our home.  I had always felt since each particular fish is not tested for mercury levels we really have no way to know how much is in them. To me eating it would be gambling. I had read about the incidence of people going out for fish fry that get sick and blame it on “bad fish” when really what they got was a dollop of mercury and their body has rebelled.

I recalled the wisdom of my Huggins dentist warning me to avoid fish for one year after amalgam removal because people get very sick if the are exposed to it that soon after amalgam removal. Apparently it causes an immune reaction because once you have amalgams, your sensitized to mercury.

Let’s just say it’s been more than 8 years since I’ve eaten fish of any kind. This video confirms my suspicions that there really is a lot more mercury in fish than we think. For me that means we will continue to avoid eating it. Many of the waterways in the U.S have fish advisories against eating them so even if you catch them yourself, you need to know about the pollution in that body of water.

Aside from fish a more recent mercury risk is in most homes today as the CFL light bulb. I must get one post ever 3-4 months from someone asking what they should do because their child knocked over a lamp and broke one of these mercury bulbs in the house.  I don’t have these inside my home at all. It just isn’t worth the risk.

Even though we are told it saves energy and maybe it does but what it isn’t saving is our planet or our bodies from mercury exposure. You can’t even put these bulbs in the garbage bin because they are hazardous waste!

We really didn’t know how much mercury a CFL would release it if were broken, but now we have answers  These videos demonstrate with testing how much mercury we are talking about if you eat tuna or break a bulb. Since mercury is toxic to everyone, it’s not just a problem for autistic children.

We do like to save energy and we do our part by turning off things that are not in use or unplugging them. By limiting how many electrical appliances we leave plugged in when not in use we are reducing “vampire power” use. We also look for LED bulbs when possible.

How to clean up a broken CFL bulb: EPA CFL Bulb Protocol

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s