We began working with a holistic physician to help us sort out what is going on with my son the past few months. We could use some labs to assess thyroid function and check vitamin D and iron. He’s been more tired than usual and often sleeps 10-11 hours. He is also back to waking up in the middle of the night.
These are the labs the doctor ordered:
- Comp Metabolic Panel
- Free T3
- Fasting glucose
- DHEA sulfate
- Reverse T3
- RBC Magnesium
- Candida IgA/IgG/IgE auto-antibodies
- 96 Delayed Food Allergy panel.
These are the labs we brought from the primary doc: TSH, Free T4, iron, Vitamin D, HCT, cholesterol/HDL. This is about all they would check for us. I was told the labs were normal but getting a copy shows they were not.
What testing revealed:
- He is homozygous (two copies) for MTHFR C677T
- His adrenals are in wired/tired stage and need more support
- He needs methylated B vitamins BADLY
- He needs Phosphatidylserine at night
- His DHEA is low
- His Pregnenolone is also low
- His fibrinogen is low
- His Free T3 could be a bit higher
- He has low ferritin and iron
- He is low in Vitamin D
- His glucose and insulin are elevated.
- He needs a higher dose of MB12 than what he is on.
- His thyroid is iffy right now.
What supplements were recommended:
- Methylated B complex
- D3- 10,000 IU per day
- Buffered vitamin C
- Betain with meals or ACV
- Adrenal Cortex in the morning
- A multivitamin with B’s, iodine
- Chromium with meals* (my recommendation to help with managing the blood sugar issue)
Some of this he is on but the doses need to be raised.
It seems from everything we discussed at the follow-up appointment that much of the issues we are seeing with low hormones, and deficiencies are related to MTHFR which led to low vitamin levels and adrenal function. She was also very pleased that I had done so much already and that we had already done so much chelation. I found out I had one copy of MTHFR only last year, so I suspected he had at least one. I didn’t suspect it would be two copies though which puts him at a 30% methylation rate. Sigh….
We have begun adding in the new supplements slowly. Some of these he is not going to take.
Update: Just a few weeks into adding in these changes and he is falling asleep by 11pm and sleeping the entire night!
Update: January 25, 2017: We discontinued pregnenolone and only supplemented at 5mg which was well below what the doctor recommended. I noticed he felt better on it for several weeks but then we began noticing it was causing anger so we stopped. I did find a chewable methylated B that we like by **Jarrow Methyl B12 and Folate. We are also using Smarty Pants for Omega’s and additional B’s. While the dose is far less than the amount of DHA he probably needs, I’m happy to get some in him over none. Fish oil causes nausea for some reason.