So what is it exactly that we have been doing to get off the autism spectrum?
- Our primary biomedical intervention was testing and treating for heavy metals. We got a hair test from Direct Labs that is processed by Doctor’s Data Inc. The test is called “Hair Toxic and Essential Hair Elements“. Do NOT get the toxic elements test because you can’t use it to apply Andy’s counting rules to look for mercury deranged mineral transport. Andy Cutler’s Hair Test Interpretation book is great for learning to understand and use the information in a hair test. Plus…this test is painless and can be done at home by parents!
- We tested everyone in the house. We were all metal toxic it was just affecting us each in different ways.
- We chose to follow the frequent low dose chelation protocol developed by Dr. Andrew Hall Cutler PhD. This protocol has been in use in the late 1990s for children with autism and mercury poisoned adults. I had looked at other methods and did not feel comfortable using high infrequent dosing or risking it with natural substances that can remove mercury, but the timing and dosing is unknown.
- We also included complementary protocols suggested in Andy’s work to target specific problems. We treated yeast overgrowth (candida), bacterial overgrowth, parasitic infection, immune dysfunction, endocrine problems too. (I detail all of this in my book)
- We addressed dietary deficiencies, allergies and removed chemicals from our food and our home.
- While we worked on the biomed side we also addressed developmental delays using the following:
- Occupational therapy for fine motor delays
- Speech therapy for receptive language delay
- Vision therapy for visual processing, visual motor delays and primitive reflexes
- Auditory therapy although honestly I saw more progress from chelation
- Sensory diet at home
- Social Skills therapy using cognitive behavioral therapy and play pair.
- Physical Therapy for large motor issues
- Constitutional Homeopathy after 100 rounds of chelation.
- Flower Essences
It has been a long road for us. I don’t pretend that it’s been easy or fast but it is working and it has led to better health and better functioning. Most of the natural therapies we did to address the physical issues metal toxicity causes are detailed in my book “Fight Autism and Win:Biomedical Therapies That Actually Work!” (second edition) *