Chelation Update: Round 185

We finished round 185 at his old dose of 50mg of ALA. After the experience with the dose increase on round 184, I decided we need to do a few more rounds at 50mg before we try the increase again. I have never been one for pushing dose increases if it made the child more uncomfortable because often times you need to sort out what will help those symptoms so they can be comfortable instead. Do I need more antioxidants? Do I need to just do a few more rounds at the current dose before raising again? Are the adrenals supported well enough? Is my child sleeping well?

Since I have been at this so long in our own case I know it’s a matter or we need to wait a bit longer at the current dose and then try it again.

I have no gains to report this time either but we don’t seem to have “gains” anymore in the sense that you do early on because most of those ASD symptoms are gone. What we generally see is just a happier child. He just seems more himself on rounds.  We are at a point where we’re are on the tail end of mercury removal and huge gains have already come. So it’s important to remind ourselves there is still a reason to continue chelating. That mercury is not all out yet!

This round was otherwise better than the last. He did not experience the symptoms he did at the higher dose. Something to always remember is pushing the doses up higher to try to “do more faster” is not always going to work because the goal is to be comfortable if possible when chelating.

I won’t even get into how tired I am after this round….I did not get a lot of sleep, since I had trouble falling back to sleep after waking at night. On a good note though I did complete round 125 with little to no symptoms other than the tiredness associated with sleep disruption. (200mg which is above the 1mg per pound limit for adults but at this point it’s necessary to “prove” if mercury is actually still a problem for me)

Chelation update: Round 184

We are plugging away with the goal of a round every other week which seems to be what my adrenals can tolerate in terms of losing sleep. I don’t generally have adrenal symptoms from rounds but I just get pretty run down by day 3 from waking up every couple of hours at night and that is the primary problem. I don’t do well on 3 and 4 hour sleep increments.

I decided that this round we would raise my son’s dose. We have not really seen much from chelation in a long time. He does very well on rounds but we don’t notice any symptoms either way really, which means it’s time to try an increase in dose. Plus he’s grown by leaps and bounds this past year so according to his weight we can raise.

He’s been at 50mg for a long time, so we increased it to 60mg if ALA. Our main challenge is administering these higher doses since he is still not able to swallow capsules.

It was a bit tricky making more chelator powder fit into his peanut butter cups but  since we use gel caps for vitamin A, E and D I just used a few drops from one of those to make the peanut butter less dry. I incorporate the essential 4 plus whatever else my son needs on rounds into his peanut butter cup chelator doses anyway. (this includes: vitamin C, magnesium, milk thistle, E, zinc, GSE, ACE etc. Not all at the same time of course but each chelator dose will have one or two of these things in it so he reaches the daily doses he needs)

He seemed to be a bit off his first two days at this dose. He complained that he felt like he had brain fog and didn’t feel well over all. He really could not concentrate at all on school work either. I increased his vitamin C and magnesium doses which helped somewhat but over all he really didn’t seem to do as well.

Here we are post round day one and he is sleeping in super late today. Since entering his teen years he sleeps a lot more now (which is normal) but he also recalled waking up for a few of his night doses on night 2 which has tired him out. He has requested to return to his previous dose because he felt so off on this increase.

So I think we will go back to 50mg for now and see if I can figure how to make that more comfortable for him next time I try the increase. (We are getting his labs back next week which might help)

What this does tell me is he’s still got mercury (which we knew from the hair test) and chelation is still working, even at 50mg. It’s just doing it more comfortably at 50mg than it does at 60mg.

Sensory Again

I think I might have figured out the backsliding with sensory.  I hadn’t realize it but we had let him have him a gluten infraction several times in the past few weeks. So what I’m doing now is “proving” my theory by adhering strictly to the diet, no exceptions. I’m going to see if we see the sensory settle back down. If so, that would confirm my suspicions.

This would also implicate a gut connection. Joy….I’m struggling at healing my own gut and while I’ve made some progress through lots of webinars and adding things in, I would have to revisit the dreaded digestive enzymes for him if that is also the case with the gluten.

Anyway, for those following our sensory journey I wanted to tell you what has transpired since my last post. I can’t really be sure about gluten’s role in his sensory. He insists he doesn’t notice a difference.